Flying with babies and toddlers is about more than just survival.
In this episode of Family Travel Radio, we’re tackling one of the greatest fears for parents when it comes to travel: flying with babies and toddlers. Trish McDermott joins us to share her hard-won wisdom about savoring the experience of flying with your tiniest travelers.
Guest: Trish McDermott, Co-founder of BabyQuip
- TSA procedures for children
- Blue Horizons for Autism from JetBlue
- Blog post by Johnny Jet about his son’s first flight
- Seeing the world again through a child’s eyes (podcast interview with Johnny Jet on Dramatic Travels Family podcast)
- BabyQuip helps you travel light and have a home-like experience when you travel with your kids
- Become a BabyQuip provider
- Reach out to others for help when traveling with a baby. There are a lot of good people out there who are willing to help.
- Dress your kids adorably for a flight.
- Show extra consideration for your fellow passengers by bringing gifts (earplugs, candy, etc.)
- Offer to help other parents. It makes a huge difference, and it feels great!
- Explain the TSA process to your kids in advance
- Share the TSA responsibilities with another adult when possible
- TSA rules are different for parents traveling with small children (see procedures link above)
- Prepare your child for overseas travel by gradually adjusting nap schedules and bedtime.
- A window seat is better for a small child.
- Check with your airline in advance about their baby-changing accommodations.
- Don’t assume your child’s car seat meets standards for in-flight use.
- Make little gift boxes with age-appropriate toys for the flight.
Trish McDermott is the co-founder and family travel expert at BabyQuip, the leading baby gear rental marketplace helping families pack light and travel easier to more than 260 destinations in the US and Canada. Powered by mostly gig economy moms, BabyQuip is like an Airbnb, but for cribs, car seats, toys, strollers and a lot more
Trish is best known for her ten years helping to launch and then running communications for Match.com. She served as Spokesperson and Vice President of Public Relations for the company. You may have seen her on Nightline or 60 Minutes, explaining the benefits of online dating, or in lively conversations with audiences at San Francisco’s Commonwealth Club, attempting to decipher the emerging culture and etiquette of online dating communities.
Having traveled solo with her four children over the years, Trish now feels eminently qualified to speak to the challenges of family travel, as well as the solutions BabyQuip and its collaborative economy of Independent Quality Providers offer.
About Your Host
Aaron Schlein is a family man, entrepreneur, and podcaster who knows first-hand about the transformational power of family travel.
When Aaron was a teenager, he began exploring the world with his grandmother, Shirley Schlein—to whom he is eternally grateful for igniting his passion for travel. Becoming a father inspired Aaron to pay forward his grandmother’s generosity and create media content to inspire parents to travel the world with their kids.
In the summer of 2018, Aaron partnered with the Family Travel Association to produce its official podcast, Family Travel Radio. Aaron lives in Sacramento, CA with his wife and two children (who are growing up too fast!)
Nothing educates like travel does. Learning history from a textbook, or even through video, can’t match the opportunity for a child to be immersed in an environment where they can experience history firsthand. That’s why the Wyoming Office of TouContinue Reading Story
Back in 2015, the US Travel Association (USTA) launched Project: Time Off, to change the culture surrounding the use of personal time off. For the next three years, the USTA invested in groundbreaking research, publicizing the benefits of using vacatContinue Reading Story
Austin Adventures is committed to being the best family travel company. Taking care of all of the details so families can experience beautiful destinations and new adventures together is what our family tours are about. We are dedicated to providing stress-free travel for families.Learn More Join FTA