Flying with babies and toddlers is about more than just survival.
In this episode of Family Travel Radio, we’re tackling one of the greatest fears for parents when it comes to travel: flying with babies and toddlers. Trish McDermott joins us to share her hard-won wisdom about savoring the experience of flying with your tiniest travelers.
Guest: Trish McDermott, Co-founder of BabyQuip
- TSA procedures for children
- Blue Horizons for Autism from JetBlue
- Blog post by Johnny Jet about his son’s first flight
- Seeing the world again through a child’s eyes (podcast interview with Johnny Jet on Dramatic Travels Family podcast)
- BabyQuip helps you travel light and have a home-like experience when you travel with your kids
- Become a BabyQuip provider
- Reach out to others for help when traveling with a baby. There are a lot of good people out there who are willing to help.
- Dress your kids adorably for a flight.
- Show extra consideration for your fellow passengers by bringing gifts (earplugs, candy, etc.)
- Offer to help other parents. It makes a huge difference, and it feels great!
- Explain the TSA process to your kids in advance
- Share the TSA responsibilities with another adult when possible
- TSA rules are different for parents traveling with small children (see procedures link above)
- Prepare your child for overseas travel by gradually adjusting nap schedules and bedtime.
- A window seat is better for a small child.
- Check with your airline in advance about their baby-changing accommodations.
- Don’t assume your child’s car seat meets standards for in-flight use.
- Make little gift boxes with age-appropriate toys for the flight.
Trish McDermott is the co-founder and family travel expert at BabyQuip, the leading baby gear rental marketplace helping families pack light and travel easier to more than 260 destinations in the US and Canada. Powered by mostly gig economy moms, BabyQuip is like an Airbnb, but for cribs, car seats, toys, strollers and a lot more
Trish is best known for her ten years helping to launch and then running communications for Match.com. She served as Spokesperson and Vice President of Public Relations for the company. You may have seen her on Nightline or 60 Minutes, explaining the benefits of online dating, or in lively conversations with audiences at San Francisco’s Commonwealth Club, attempting to decipher the emerging culture and etiquette of online dating communities.
Having traveled solo with her four children over the years, Trish now feels eminently qualified to speak to the challenges of family travel, as well as the solutions BabyQuip and its collaborative economy of Independent Quality Providers offer.
About Your Host
Aaron Schlein is a family man, entrepreneur, and podcaster who knows first-hand about the transformational power of family travel.
When Aaron was a teenager, he began exploring the world with his grandmother, Shirley Schlein—to whom he is eternally grateful for igniting his passion for travel. Becoming a father inspired Aaron to pay forward his grandmother’s generosity and create media content to inspire parents to travel the world with their kids.
In the summer of 2018, Aaron partnered with the Family Travel Association to produce its official podcast, Family Travel Radio. Aaron lives in Sacramento, CA with his wife and two children (who are growing up too fast!)
Coltur Peru has spent 65 years spreading a love for Peru and creating positive impact through travel. The travel company has roots in a family history of adventure and travel, “deeply engrained ethics, extensive knowledge of our country and unwaverContinue Reading Story
As a Family Travel Association board member for the last three years and new chair of the association’s Travel Advisor committee, Jessica Griscavage cares deeply about making family travel unforgettable. After many years working for McCabe World TrContinue Reading Story
FTA is proud to announce our new business development manager, Eric Lutey; who brings many years of tour and travel industry experience to the role. Lutey started his career a little over 20 years ago, working as a student tour operator in Michigan,Continue Reading Story
Working with Panorama, a Travel and Leisure Co. brand, David Gilmore’s goal is to help travel businesses bring convenience, information, inspiration and value to their customers. Panorama is delivering a full suite of travel solutions and B2B partnContinue Reading Story
Owner and founding board member of Martinhal Family Hotels & Resorts, Chitra is a passionate entrepreneur and real-estate & hotel developer, working alongside her business-partner and husband, Roman, on their projects in Portugal. They have hContinue Reading Story
Destination Sitters provides fully vetted, strictly screened, and highly experienced sitters for your travel experiences. Whether you want a night out on the town without the kids, desire extra assistance in an amusement park, or have specialContinue Reading Story
Heather Greenwood Davis Named 2020 FTA Person-of-the-Year; Travel Advisors Named FTA People of the Year
Continuing its annual tradition of honoring the late Keith Bellows, who helped pioneer the start of the organization in 2014, the FTA awarded its 2020 Person of the Year to Heather Greenwood Davis.Continue Reading Story
The FTA Spotlight, despite being virtual, managed to bring together a group of top industry executives from some of the leading brands in family travel.Continue Reading Story
Heather’s “The Future Is Family Travel” keynote address was so well done, a written script would not do it justice so we urge you to check it out yourself.Continue Reading Story
This year’s Spotlight audience was treated to a presentation from Dr. Jen Hartstein, a family psychologist, author, and television personality who leads a family psychotherapy practice.Continue Reading Story
Hi there! My name is Shreehari Thapaliya. I’m CEO and founder of Trekking Team Group, the one and only certified agent of the Family Travel Association in Nepal. I started working in the tourism sector at the age of 16, soon after my school graduation. Since then I have been operating trips in the Himalaya […]Learn More Join FTA